Friday, March 23, 2012

What happened to the "typical" gamer???

I am a gamer.  I admit if freely.  I am not ashamed of being a gamer.  I am a grown man and I enjoy video games.  I'm not addicted to playing.  I can easily put it away after 15 minutes or three hours. 
As a young man, I fell victim to the typical strong pull of gaming having spent numerous hours with grandma playing card games like Spite and Malice, or Dirty Marbles... advancing to Monopoly, Sorry, Risk, and then delving into Role Playing games and excitedly throwing three dice to determine my strength and charisma scores in Dungeons and Dragons. 
I can remember the dawn of computer gaming and how cool I thought it was when the word games appeared... "You're standing in a long rectangular room.  Obvious exits are North, South, East and Dennis"... and the feeling of accomplishment after completing Police Quest, Adventure Quest, and the very first Leisure Suit Larry! 
I can recall the thrill of playing Zelda on the first Nintendo Entertainment System, and thinking how much fun it would be to play Super Mario Brothers with my son when he was old enough.  Systems grew larger.  Computers became more powerful.  8 bit games gave way to 16 bit games.  It soon became apparent that Games were driving the computer industry with their ever increasing need to be bigger, better and more realistic.  Computer components had to be more and more advanced just to keep up. 
Then came the onslaught on-line games, creating a new dawn in the era of gaming.  Hundreds of thousands of people all together playing side by side in a multi-faceted on-line universe.  We created on-line persona's, avatars, and like many role playing games, became the person we wanted to be, not the person we were.  I was, and still am, the stereotype of a typical gamer.  At least I thought I was.
Now, with the advent of social media like Facebook, gamers have a new face.  With the current flood of Facebook games like Farmville, and Angry birds apps for your phone, I am no longer a "typical" gamer.
Statistically speaking, the "typical" gamer plays games for an average of three hours per day. 
Statistically speaking the "Typical" gamer is now a "40 something" year old woman. 
What the hell happened??


No comments:

Post a Comment